I wonder today- Why I use smartphone as a distraction for my Toddler. Don’t I have any other option??
Throughout my childhood, I always spotted my Mother reading a book with her glasses on. She habitually insisted on their worth and advised us to explore the reading arena.
She told us that Books are our best friends. They give and give without demanding anything in return. A vast endless sea of knowledge and wisdom.
Now I get it, my Blogging is the outcome of my Mother’s imitation. It was flourished with the course of time and came out in the form of writing. Of course, writing never stands alone. It comes in a package where reading precedes writing.
Being a working Mother, I get little time to spend with my toddler. I wish the time I spend with him should be worth it, however little. I put aside the screens- my Laptop and smartphone- to enjoy his stammered talks and childish acts.
Why I use Distraction?
To make him eat tummy full, I helplessly hand over my phone to him. I use it as a distraction for making him eat, without creating any fuss or food spills but I was wrong, this distraction is becoming its habit. He won’t eat now without watching his “Video” and once I hold my phone playing a poem, he opens his mouth in momentum without much effort.
I never wanted it this way as it strains his eyes and makes them watery but nothing else worked. To be truthful, I did not try hard. A thought clicked my mind while I was reading a link up post from one of the fellow bloggers. I should rather use the Catalyst– stories or books or any other creative activity which would help him in long run.
I fear of saying “Its too late” and could not wait to bring the change. Yesterday, I did not hand over my phone to him even once nor did he asked for it.Click & Tweet! I was surprised as his video watching was becoming my habit not his.
We are the ones who imbibe these habits in them at first and then we blame them. I am glad that I cut this vicious circle.
Ending this with a Hindi proverb “Der aaye durust aaye” meaning “Better late than never”.
Now, it is time to link up to the Literacy Musing Mondays hop! You will have until Saturdays at 12 p.m. now to link up! So come back often.
- Include a link back or the blog hop button linked to this hop on your posts.
- Link up the urls to your posts not to your blog.
- Please remember this is a family-friendly linkup. Although we believe in the right for adults to read whatever they want to read, we prefer to read wholesome posts that feature literature that edify and uplift families. We reserve the right to delete any posts that are not family friendly. We love all kinds of literature and genres including family-friendly inspirational romances, fantasy, or science fiction. We do not welcome anything with excessive violence, sexual content, or cursing. These posts will be deleted.
- We also want to be loving community by supporting one another. Please make a point to do this this week! Visit the post next to yours and at least one other blogger’s post of your choice! I want to see lots of clicks on everyone’s posts. I know as a blogger, you know how it feels not receive comments, right. Remember it is also nice to follow them on their social media platforms like Twitter and Facebook.
- Follow your hosts and co-hosts on their social media.
- Tweet about the link up too.
Link up your family-friendly posts about anything literacy related.