As parents we naturally want to give our children what they want but it does not work that way because it does not promise true happiness. To keep a balance between wants and needs for kids, we need to first model it and then expect them to learn.
Messy or Cluttered is not a personality trait. It should not be. Let Kids not define them as someone who loves cluttered spaces. I understand its easier said than done.
But lets help them quell their wants so that they do not have to introspect later in their lives, so that they
don’t spend half of their lives accumulating the stuff and rest de-cluttering it.
The kids of today need minimalism more than the previous generations. We need to be Family with less wants. We need to help each other in this.
Our mornings and evenings should not be spend struggling through our lives because of more stuff.
BRING HOME THE RELEVANT
A baby does not need costly toys but the day we we welcome a new Life, we start bringing Home the stuff which has no meaning for them.
- Try buying the evergreen toys; Blocks, Number games, Puzzles rather than the ones they outgrow quickly.
- Try to know their interests before buying a specific toy- I noticed my Son playing a toy musical instrument many time at one of my Friend’s home and then I bought him the similar one.
- Buy the ones that involves Kids rather than only watch and listen with one button.
- Let not collect the stuff just to entertain them while they eat and to put ourselves in convenience.
We need to redefine the Festivals for them rather than only-buying events.
New Year is about winding up, looking down and learning
Valentine is about honoring Love
Raksha Bandhan is about getting together
Diwali is about enlightening the lives
SPEND TIME OUTDOORS
See if they spend enough time outdoors.
If they get enough opportunities to explore.
If they engage in creative play.
I have noticed this many times now that when my Kid is out and not at home, he enjoys more despite no toy and no screen. This is why we as generation with less options used to enjoy more and threw much less tantrums.
HAVE RULES IN PLACE
- Have boundaries for their things
- Teach them to clean up messes at the end of the day
- Keep only 1 TV for your Home
- Do not buy them a meal just for a cheap toy
- Keep them away from commercial TV
Involve them in shopping decisions; share the reasons of not buying certain things. Example- I will not be buying this Blue dress because I have this color in my wardrobe or We will not buy this Red Car because you already have one at Home.
Take their help while you decide. Give them 2 options and let them select any 1. This way they would realize that they cannot have all at once.
Tell them that buying a new toy would mean Mommy or Papa spending more time at work and less time with them.
Tell them how their buying would increase the landfills.
Tell them how their habits would impact environment.
Do you have any more tips to differentiate wants and needs for kids?
Pin it and share-