We live in a country full of stereotypes and Gender stereotypes is the biggest challenge each Indian has to face right from childhood.
- Girls are bad drivers
- Boys don’t cry
- Boys don’t play with dolls
- Girls don’t shout
- Boys are not choosy about clothes
- Laundry is women’s Job
We hear this often. Right?
We experience these in 1 way or the other. The ones who does not conform to these stereotypes face the criticism of others around and often put to shame.
These stereotypes affect one’s character and can hamper their growth.
Lets see how they do this:
- Girls are bad drivers– This reduces their confidence and make them prone to accidents or sometimes they over-speed to prove themselves.
- Boys don’t cry- This force them to suppress their emotions or otherwise he can be put to shame.
- Boys don’t play with dolls – If any boy child been refused by parents to buy a doll, you are infusing the stereotypes in him too.
- Girls don’t shout- If you repeatedly say this to your girl, she can get stubborn.
- Boys are not choosy about clothes- If any boy likes to follow the fashion trends, he will hide it from others as otherwise he will be teased.
These stereotypes are so much ingrained in us that slowly, we learn to live with them.
What we should do to curb gender stereotypes
Encourage HIM for sports, taking care of the outside work but do not discourage him from cooking and serving.
Encourage HIM for tough job roles but do not discourage him for teaching and counseling.
Encourage HIM to be strong but do not discourage him from crying.
Encourage HER for good manners but do not encourage him to be delicate.
Encourage HER to be gentle but do not discourage her from being loud.
Encourage HER to be caring but do not encourage her to follow her male counterparts.
Encourage HER to take up family friendly jobs but do not discourage her from taking physically demanding roles.
I wish all the parents take this initiative forward to break these Gender stereotypes as this needs to be tackled from childhood itself.
If you liked this post, you can have these posts delivered to your inbox: